Monday, January 1, 2024

Why I still use a monopod


The well known photography website Peta Pixel recently ran an article looking at "The Beloved Photography Gear That Nobody Uses Anymore".  The author, Jeremy Gray, included monopods in the list.  His final paragraph summarises his arguments:

"Between lighter lenses, better camera stabilization, and improved ISO performance, the only photographers who still use monopods are people working with 400mm f/2.8 and 600mm f/4 lenses, which themselves are becoming less common in the age of super-light, compact telephoto lenses with slower apertures."

While I can accept some of his thinking I certainly dispute that monopods are almost obsolete for most photographers.  I am, to put it bluntly, no longer young.  I can no longer hold myself in awkward positions for any length of time without some bodily tremor creeping in.  Even the very effective IBIS on the EM1 Mkii can't compensate for inadvertant backward and forward movement (pitch).  And my age certainly induces pitch if I'm handholding a camera and can't brace myself.

Which is where a monopod comes in.

Our youngest daughter bought me the one shown above a few years ago to replace my aging 1990's Manfrotto monopod.  This one has the advantage of removable, foldable tripod feet.  I added a small ballhead I had hanging around and was ready to go.  It's quite light but easily strong enough to support my Olympus gear.

My primary use is for field macro of insects and other small subjects.  The manouverability of a single column and ballhead allows me to either get into awkward spots and still have a measure of stability or set up station beside a suitable nectar plant and hold the camera steady while I wait for the best angle for a shot.  This also helps me to shoot in situations where I can manouver a suitable backdrop behind the subject while shooting one handed.  If I'm using manual focus for macro it also helps to further steady the shot as the camera and lens are slowly rocked to get the correct plane of focus.

The secondary use is for situations where using a tripod would be impractical - or even forbidden.  With the tripod foot off I'm just an old man with an adjustable walking stick.  The fact that I can steady my camera for a close up or a focus stack is just a bonus.

The tertiary use is for ground level shooting:  

With the camera mounted on the ballhead and angled to hold it level but off the ground it's easy to lay the monopod flat on the floor and hold it in position with a foot or knee.  Yes, a bean bag would work as well - but I don't routinely carry one.  

A final use is one that most older photographers encounter if they're trying the aforesaid low level shots.  Getting down for the shot is relatively easy - gravity assists.  Getting back up again as hips and knees creak and groan is rather harder.  The additional support of the monopod certainly helps.

No, the monopod is certainly not dead.  Here's one user that increasingly relies on one.


No comments:

Post a Comment