Sunday, December 3, 2023

  

My Alamy experience – part the sixth

It seems ages since I updated this blog.  I’m now close to completing 10 years with Alamy, have gone through various personal health upheavals which has prevented me adding as many images as I’d have liked, and even switched camera systems to M43 (mostly Olympus) to carry a little less weight as I’ve grown ever older.

Nonetheless I’ve added a lot more sales.  Back in January 2018 (nearly 6 years ago!) I’d reached the dizzy heights of 339 licences with total gross sales of $8,985.  Times have certainly moved on.  The current lifetime statistics are:

·         9257 images now on sale
·         2713 licences, spread among 1598 unique images, 17.26% of my current portfolio
·         Gross earnings of $48,501 from sales plus $1762 nett from DACS and other additional payments
·         Average net return over the last 6 years has averaged $265 a month.  Not a vast amount – but a welcome addition to my pension income.
·         My annual CTR remains at a healthy 1.05, still nearly twice the Alamy average
·         Zooms – customer interest in my images – remains healthy.  Currently 2831 of my images have been zoomed at least once, 30.58% of my total portfolio

Overall, I’m happy with my time with Alamy.  I try to curate my portfolio to only include images that I think have a decent market rather than throwing everything in to see what sticks.  Yes I’m a bit niche, concentrating on plants, gardens and macro nature and wildlife, but it’s what I know and what I love.  To earn from it is a very useful bonus!

I still get magazine front covers.  Here’s the latest:

 

I mentioned above that I’ve switched to M43 cameras and lenses.  That’s a subject for forthcoming posts but suffice it to say that the images generated by the system (see above) are more than good enough to pass Alamy QC and find favour with buyers.  And that one was quite a heavy crop from landscape to portrait.

No comments:

Post a Comment