Sunday, September 13, 2026

Dragons and Damsels 2026

I could never make a living as full time dragonfly and damselfly photographer.  I have neither the time nor the resources to do the travelling involved in seeking out the rarer species both in the UK and abroad.  But they're fun to photograph so every now and then I'll sit by a lake or stream where they're flying and take my shots  It's usually relaxing, sometimes frustrating, but rewarding when I capture a decent flight or behavioural shot.

So here's my pick of this summer's crop.  Taken with either the OM Systems 100-400 mm MKII or the 40-150mm +1.4x teleconverter.

Emperor dragonfly female egg laying

Blue male and green female Azure damselflies mating wheel

Broad bodied chaser male on perch

Beautiful demoiselle female at rest

Beautiful demoiselle male at rest

Common blue damselfly male

Golden ringed dragonfly

Broad bodied chaser female

Male Emperor dragonfly resting on an Astlbe

Souther Hawker male in flight

Male Common Darter
In the great scheme of things it's not a significant crop.  But, hey, it was fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment